Friday, August 19, 2011

Too Old to Hang on a Thursday Night

I used to be cool (Not really).  But I used to be able to go out, party all night, come home, shower, change and go to work. (Really) There wasn't a day of the week when I wouldn't go out. 

These days?  No - not so much.

But last night The Husband & I did something we haven't done in a long time.  I mean, it's been so long - I can't remember the last time we did it.  Or if we ever have.
We. Went. Out!   

I know - on a Thursday!  To see a really cool band - Si*Se at the Hiro Ballroom.  We left The Boy with his Nino (godfather) and Uncle Johnny.  Another thing we've never done before.  (Remember my post from earlier in the week?  If I were really Wonder Woman I'd have a much smaller waist.  Help is the one 4-letter word, I seldom use.) 

Anyway, we had a great time out with friends - it was much needed for The Husband and I.  But standing there in the middle of the ballroom floor waiting for Si*Se to play, crowded in the dark, having strangers spill their drinks on my feet (eeeww), I realized - I'm too old for Thursday night shenanigans. 

Here's how I know

Heels were not an option.  As I was getting dressed, I put on a pair of wedges, I haven't worn all summer.  After taking ten steps in the apartment, I kicked them off and put on my flats.  Sexy?  Not really.  Sensible? OH YES! 

I got my hand stamped.  And after it was stamped, I said "OMG, it's been so long since I got my hand stamped!" 

We got there at 8pm because the tickets said the show starts at 8:30. (Literal thinking rubbing off on me much?)

I actually expected Si*Se to start at 8:30.

At 9:30, I was annoyed to still be listening to the opening act. Don't get me wrong, she was great too.  But the whole time I'm looking at/playing with my phone - a social media gal like myself has to stay connected.  (And while I was playing with my phone,  I thought about the times when I went out and was like "beep me when you get there.")

At 9:40 I was really happy that I wore my flats.  But secretly jealous that my girlfriend slipped into a pair of Fit Flops.   

At 10 pm, I whispered to The Husband, "what time do you want to leave?"  Just as Si*Se started performing.  As much as I enjoyed their music,  I kept thinking about picking up The Boy.  Taking him home and our 6 am wake up time.  

By my third drink, I was ready to fall asleep.  

By 10:45, we left even though the band played on. 

After getting home close to midnight and waking up at 6 am, I realize now (while I'm trying to stay awake), that if we ever go out again on a Thursday night - I will NEED to take Friday as a vacation day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AutismWonderland - written by Lisa Quinones-Fontanez - is a personal blog chronicling a NYC family's journey with autism, while also sharing local resources for children/families with special needs.